Friday 30 May 2014

Ask DaniELLE: How Can I Wear an Animal Print in a Modern Way?

Photo: Katie Friedman
Q: How can I wear an animal print in a modern way?
A: Very true story: about three years ago I banned myself from animal prints. I was wearing too many of them. They were intended to spice up an outfit but I was using the trick too often. It felt like I had leopard everything and it was becoming, dare I say, basic. So, in an attempt to be more creative, I tried to free myself from the safety of wild kingdom.
I banned all animal and skin-prints from my wardrobe, but left room for things like prints of animals, like my favorite giraffe-printed skirt. This spring though, I decided that it was high time I reintroduced the look back into my wardrobe and looked towards the reptile genus for inspiration.
Today I am wearing a blouse from Equipment that is printed in a neutral snakeskin tone with mom jeans from asos.com. I paired it with heels from Aquazzura and my choker from Eddie Borgo. My favorite thing about this print is that it provides a great palette for really minimal jewelry. It works for both silver and gold and adding a statement cuff or necklace in a very simple shape is an excellent way to bring in some modern elegance. Trust me, if I could wear a snake the way that Britney Spears could in 2001, I would. But since that is not really office appropriate, I think this is the best way.
Here is how you can adopt a snake (print) of your very own.
 
Look 1
Equipment Slim Signature Black Mixed Python Print Shirt, $154.80;equipmentfr.com
ASOS Farleigh High Waist Slim Mom Jeans, $72.41; asos.com
Gianvito Rossi Mirror Leather Pumps, $631; luisaviaroma.com
Look 2

No comments:

Post a Comment