Friday 22 August 2014

Patrick Sawyer’s Widow: I’m Saddened & Sorry for the loss of Dr. Adedavoh

Decontee Sawyer - August 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01
Decontee Saywer, the widow of the late Liberian-American Ebola victim Patrick Sawyer speaks about the death of Dr. Ameyo Stella Adedavoh
.
Dr. Adedavoh was the brave woman who risked her life to treat Sawyer who reportedly tried to escape.
In an e-mail to Leadership, she said “she shares the pains of the family”:
“I share the pains that the family members of the Nigerian doctor are going through. It is just a pity that Patrick had to cause this damage both in Liberia and Nigeria.”
“I want to reach out to them and express how deeply saddened and sorry I am for their loss and their pain. I do apologise if my words have cost anyone who is grieving more pain. I fall on my knees and ask God for his healing power for all of those who are still infected with Ebola. I pray for all of the families whose loved ones were taken away by this merciless killer Ebola, especially those affected by Patrick’s actions.
Ebola didn’t start with Patrick in Liberia, as we both know. Ebola was in Liberia from a traveller from Guinea since February of this year. The government knew about it and did nothing. Many Liberians, including me, called out to the government then to close the borders. They didn’t do so until one of their own, Patrick (Sawyer), died in July.
Many people died before Patrick and their lives were just as important. That is my frustration. Ebola didn’t have to go to Nigeria, Africa’s most populated country, had the Liberian government taken drastic actions sooner. I, too, have family members and friends in Nigeria, and now they are at risk because of Patrick’s actions.
In spite of my anger and disappointment with him, I don’t believe that he did this with evil intent (I could be wrong). I believe his actions were that of a desperate man. And sad for everyone involved, Nigeria was closer than the U.S. This is just my take on what he could have been thinking (of course, I could be wrong).
My regret is that I was so caught up in my own pain and frustration, that I neglected to see the pain of the innocent people both in Liberia and Nigeria who are affected by Patrick’s actions. For that, I am deeply sorry. The last thing I wanted to do was to cause them pain.
It is a pain I know. It is a pain I don’t want them to have.”
Decontee has three daughters with Patrick.
She also apologized for his actions, “Going to Nigeria was one of them. His act was one of a desperate man. Many Nigerians and Liberians are affected because of that act of desperation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment