Thursday 14 August 2014

Ebola: Nigerian Nurse Who Came in Contact with Patrick Sawyer Dies at 25

Obi Justina Ejelonu - August 2014 - Ebola - BellaNaija.com 01
A nurse who attended to Liberian-American Ebola victim Obi Justina Ejelonu has died.
Her family confirmed the story to Sahara Reporters
through a telephone call. She passed away this morning.
Ejelonu was in a quarantine facility in Lagos.
Until her death, she was outspoken about the virus. and was at the centre of a campaign for the Zmapp experimental drug to be sent to Nigeria.
Before she was diagnosed the virus, she posted this message on Facebook;
“Obi Justina Ejelonu:
Friends,
thank God for me o.i had a close contact with the first Ebola case in Nigeria..:.Long story cut short,God saved me dearly.join me in thanking God.
I never contacted his fluids. I checked his vitals, helped him with his food (he was too weak)…..I basically touched where his hands touched and that’s the only contact. Not directly with his  fluids. At a stage, he yanked off his infusion and we had blood everywhere on his bed…..but the ward maids took care of that and changed his linens with great precaution. Every patient is treated as high risk …..if it were airborne, by now wahala for dey. I still thank God.  
Friends, up to our uniforms n all linens were burnt off. We r on surveillance n off work till 11th. Our samples v long bn taken by WHO n so far we v been fine. For me, kudos to my hospital managt cos we work professionally wt every patient considered risk cos thats d training. Had it been it’s a hospital where they manage ordinary gloves lik Govt hospital n some janjaweed private hosp..:lol….wahala for dey o. I must also thank Lagos Govt….infact! Even fed govt sef….all been supportive. I’m good n so r the others in d hospital”
Unfortunately, a few days later, she tested positive for Ebola and has now passed away. Justina was 25.
R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment